Thursday, March 26, 2009

I will beat you at Wii tennis...every time.

I was told that people want to know what's going on in my life, so I've decided to join the blogging craze. The world has been changed by blogs. There is a blog for every topic under the sun. I'm sure there's a blog about the subtle changes in Joey Crawford's bald head. Most blogs are not worth your time. That may or may not end up being the case for this blog.

Over the past couple of months at my job, I have noticed that I have a pronounced weakness. I can never remember what people wear. I just don't notice that kind of thing. Pretty much all I remember are very general things about the person's outfit, i.e., that they were wearing a shirt and pants. Beyond that, I really do not notice.

After recognizing this weakness, I began to wonder what is it that I notice when I see people? What is it that others notice? A quick survey of a few other people included answers such as their clothes, their shoes, how they treat others, their body language, etc. Different people notice different things.

I for one, tend to notice the way a person moves, or particularly, the way they walk or run (if that's what they happen to be doing). My initial judgments of others are highly correlated to the coordination or awkwardness of the person's motions. As I interact more with the person, my initial judgment of that person often quickly changes based on how I perceive their personality, but the fact remains that if you move like a goober, you are a goober in my mind until you prove otherwise.

Why do I notice these things? Why do I notice more the awkward bounce in a girl's walk at church more than their summer dress of some color that I do not really pay attention to until somebody else points it out?

The answer is simple -- sports have conditioned me to subconsciously scrutinize the athletic strengths and weaknesses of everybody I come across. I analyze if they have lightning-fast quickness, brute strength, or explosive leaping abilities. In essence, every time I meet somebody, I am immediately deciding if I would want them on my team in a pick up game of whatever sport you choose.

So if I don't pick you to be on my team, it's probably because you don't have the ability. Sorry.

5 comments:

  1. would beating everyone at wii tennis have anything to do with the time you stayed up all night playing wii tennis by yourself?

    gr8 blog btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a great starting post. I now know why you and Phil bicker so much, you didn't pick him for the initial MTC basketball game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a new blog title suggestion: Jess's Mean Blog. Oh well isuppose it was I who created this mess. Truthfully though it's good to have you in the blogosphere. Todd??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although Briana is one of my favorite people in the whole world, I must express a difference of opinion here, however slight it may be. As one who less than two days ago sat for hours poring over the VCLA, a test that repeatedly asks readers to draw conclusions about author's various attitudes and purposes, I must say with some confidence that the Jess-man meant his post to be witty and fun. He would have accomplished his purpose fully if he had just refrained from writing the last two lines of the post, no? It's not too late, though. All this particular author needs to do is push the "edit" button, delete a few words, and allow his wit to fully shine through. Deal, Jess?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I amend the above. Yes, the last two lines still need to go, but the words "goober" and "awkward" also need to disappear. THEN we can speak confidently about wit and fun shining through.

    ReplyDelete